Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Harrowgate Park

Justin Oriente
Last saturday I complted my service hours by doing a service event at Harrowgate Park in Philadelphia near Kensignton. I was orignally supposed to go to the Wissahickion but since it got rained out I decided to do this event at the park that was scheduled for later on in the day. I found the event through the Philadelphia Cares volunteer website. I ended up calling the person as soon as I found out on Friday that the Wissahickion was canceled and they said they were doing their event starting at 12 when the weather was supposed to clear up. Lucky for us the weather did clear up in time and we were able to help clean up the park. While we were there we did some tree tending, and also helped to clean up the park. This was my second time planting both trees and doing clean up so I was expereienced enuogh to actually know what I was doing. One thing that I found interesting was that when we were planting the trees all of the soils were a good color but many of the trees that were already in the park looked worn out and tired. Also most of the trash in the park were bottles and other wrappers even though there were many
recyable and trash cans in the area. I believe that it is a more a problem of people simply not wanting to throw their trash away but more of an issue of people just not caring. Overall this was a very good experience that I learned a lot from.

Time 3 hours
Total time 10 hours :)

No comments:

Post a Comment